Eyelashes are not just a cosmetic element in your face, but they have a vital role to play apart from the eye aesthetics. Eyelashes protect your eyes from harmful debris that may cause infection, injury, or obstruction of view. Eyelashes tend to grow and fall out in a natural cycle. They replace themselves every six to ten weeks in a manner similar to hair growing on top of your head.
While it’s normal to lose anywhere from one to five eyelashes a day, few people experience rapid lash loss or madarosis. This can be a symptom of some underlying problem in the body or eye.
Rejuvenate Medical Spa, led by Dr. Bijan Farah, provides Latisse eyelash growth treatment to patients in Encino, Sherman Oaks, San Fernando, Calabasas, Woodland Hills, Tarzana, Los Angeles, CA, and surrounding locations.
What Causes Localized Eyelash Loss?
Eyelash loss can be an indicator of something serious if you are not losing hair from your scalp or eyebrows. Localized eyelash loss may be due to:
- Cosmetic irritants: Your lashes can be harmed by periodic use of eye makeup, lash extensions, or heated/non-heated eyelash curlers. These irritants can speed up shedding. Eyelash loss can occur from allergens in extension glue and mascara as well.
- Blepharitis: This condition involves burning oritchiness accompanied by swelling and redness of the eyelids. It can cause eyelash loss as well. Blepharitis occurs when oil glands at the base of eyelashes get clogged causing chronic inflammation.
- Trichotillomania: Psychological distress or emotional stress can cause a person to pluck at their eyelashes habitually.
- Skin cancer: Skin cancer on the eyelid can result to a rare form of eyelash loss. Cancer cells may interrupt the growth of eyelashes causing thinning.
Ocular rosacea or mite, chronic, or recurrent styes and chalazia, and bacterial or fungal infections are other less common causes of eyelash loss.
Hair Loss Accompanied by Eyelash Loss
You may be suffering from a systemic health problem or condition if hair is falling from the scalp and eyebrows along with eyelids. Common causes of such hair loss and eyelash loss are:
- Alopecia: This is an auto-immune condition in which the body starts to attack hair follicles on the body, face, and head.
- Thyroid Disorder: Both hypothyroidism (depleted hormones) and hyperthyroidism (overload of hormones) can result in hair loss, including eyelash loss.
Latisse Is FDA Approved For Falling Eyelashes
Latisse is a recommended treatment by most medical spas in the US for thinning eyelashes. The product is approved by the FDA to treat hypotrichosis in the eyelid. Prostaglandin analogue is one of the active ingredients in Latisse which helps in stimulating hair follicles to make them push new growth faster.
Latisse treatment is generally recommended by med spa providers for people that want longer, thicker, or darker eyelashes. Several people have already benefited from this non-invasive topical treatment. It’s vital to note that Latisse is a prescription product and should only be used after consultation with a well-known medical spa expert.
Rejuvenate Medical Spa receives patients from Encino, Sherman Oaks, San Fernando, Calabasas, Woodland Hills, Tarzana, Los Angeles, CA, and nearby areas for Latisse eyelash growth treatment.
Contact Rejuvenate Medical Spa in the Los Angeles Area
See all Medical Spa Non-Surgical Procedures Dr. Bijan Farah performs on patients in Los Angeles, Encino, Sherman Oaks, San Fernando, Calabasas, Tazana, Woodland Hills, CA, and surrounding communities. Schedule a consultation now.