Acne Skin Treatment Procedures and Cost – San Fernando Valley, Calabasas, Sherman Oaks or Encino
Trying out a host of creams and treatments to get rid of acne to no avail can be distressing. The appearance of acne is first seen during puberty in most people, due to a surge in androgen hormones. The sebaceous or oil-secreting glands are stimulated by these androgens which causes breakouts. Acne can also flare up in women when their bodies undergo hormonal fluctuations during menstruation, menopause and pregnancy. Also, certain drugs and cosmetics have a tendency to aggravate acne.
Diagnosing the acne condition helps in controlling breakouts. A dermatologist typically prescribes suitable treatment based on how severe the acne is. Here are some common treatment options they prescribe:
- Topical Treatment: This treatment can be used to treat mild to severe acne. It involves applying lotions, ointments or creams on the affected area.
- Systematic treatment: This treatment is used when topical treatments don’t work. It can be used to treat moderate to severe,persistent acne. It works internally to clear out the skin. This is done by either taking oral acne medications or by injecting it into the skin.
- Procedural treatment: This treatment can be used to treat mild to severe acne. The procedure is typically performed in a medical spa which is a cross between a spa and a clinic. A med spa performs anti-aging procedures, treats acne and hair loss, and conducts skin rejuvenation techniques under the supervision of a doctor.
Acne treatment procedures
Med spas offer many options like laser hair removal, laser treatments, light treatments, chemical peels, injections like Juvederm and Botox, and Photofacials. Skin therapists in med spas often use these procedures to treat acne:
1) Light chemical peels: Chemical peels help to clear the clogged pores and remove dead cells in the skin. It is used to treat sever acne and uses exfoliation techniques on the skin.
2) Phototherapy: This involves using light or laser to treat mild to severe acne. It helps in shrinking the oil-secreting glands and killing the bacteria that causes inflammation of the skin. It has an advantage over other methods as it penetrates and affects the deeper layer of the skin without damaging its surface.
3) Microdermabrasion: This is a treatment that exfoliates the skin by spraying it with fine crystals to remove the dead cells. It is performed on patients who don’t have skin inflammation.
4) Corticosteroid injections: These are used to treat persistent cysts that form lesions in the skin. It works in such a way that the inflammation reduces while causing minimal scarring.
How much do these treatments cost you?
The cost of acne treatments vary based on the technique used. Topical and systematic treatments
cost fairly less when compared to laser treatment procedures. In spite of this, laser treatment is preferred over other methods as it is highly effective. These procedures may also require for the patient to come in for multiple sessions and a touch-up every few months which adds up to the costs.